SO YOU WANNA HELP RUN LAKES OF FIRE?
Then you’ve come to the right place! Lakes of Fire is the Burn organized by Great Lakes Experimental Arts, a 501(c)3 non-profit run entirely on volunteer power, community support, and tickets.
If you want to become a power-volunteer by helping the org directly, please read through these open positions. Then learn more about the history of GLEA and take a gander at the LOFers, our assembled department leads, to get a sense of the crew.
Emergency Services Department: Fire Safety Team
Updated: 2/25/2024 . Apply Now.
Have you ever wanted to volunteer for ESD but didn’t know if you could?
We have two volunteer classifications for our Fire Team alone, Fire I and Fire II. We have spots available for both.
Fire I team members are those who have completed the Lakes of Fire: Fire 101 class and the National Incident Management System (NIMS) IS-100.C: Introduction to the Incident Command System. Both classes are free and easy to complete. First Aid & CPR certifications are also a big bonus.
Fire II team members are individuals who hold firefighter certifications from the NFPA, a home state agency or Military.
Team members should be able to safely operate a golf cart as needed and be able to lift 50Lbs.
We want to meet you. For more information, contact Joel “LoveRhino” Eastlund at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gate: Shift Leads and Day Managers
Posted: 3/23/2023. Apply Now.
What’s a great way to get past that wrought-iron gate and into a Garden of Wonder? Already being behind it! Walk down this flowered path to the Gate department and see what you can do to help.
We are looking for experienced volunteers to step up to the Shift Lead role. In 2023, the Shift Lead will be available to help all the other Gate volunteers, preparing them for success with materials, information, and direction. You will be a point of contact and backup for your shift’s volunteers when they need it. You will have backup, too – Shift Leaders work closely with the Gate Day Manager and the Gate Department leads. If you’re adaptable, good at listening, and can hold people to the rules, you’ll knock this out of the park.
While Shift Leads focus on keeping Gate moving smoothly to protocol, Day Managers oversee gate operations generally for an entire day. Day Managers are the ones who keep tabs on the day’s events as they unfold: observing, keeping GLEA leads up-to-date, and setting up the next Shift Lead for success when the previous one signs off. If it sounds like a lot, don’t worry; in 2023 Gate is eager to offer specific guidance and preparation for Day Managers. Flex your communication and lateral thinking skills to help GLEA leaders stay up-to-date on what’s happening at Gate.
Posted: 5/16/2023. Apply Now.
Ready to join an enchanting realm of Radios at Lakes of Fire? We are searching for dedicated volunteers to join our Radio Department and help us cultivate the magic of communication. Immerse yourself in a magical and unforgettable volunteering experience!
- Nurture and harness the power of radio equipment within the Garden of Wonder
- Bestow technical support and guidance upon fellow volunteers and participants
- Tend to the growth and maintenance of our flourishing radio communication infrastructure
- Unearth hidden treasures through product research, ensuring our department is adorned with the finest technology
- Cultivate administrative harmony, tending to tasks such as record keeping, scheduling, and data management
- Be willing to explore the nocturnal realm with overnight shifts while on-site
- Help create a comprehensive manual and other departmental documentation for future reference and training purposes
While excelling in one or two areas is great, we’re open to meeting candidates with:
- Embrace the art of ham radio and its sacred knowledge
- Bloomed with prowess in radio technology troubleshooting and maintenance
- Tech troubleshooting and maintenance skills
- Possess the green thumb of organization and attention to detail
- Harvest insights through thorough product research endeavors
We are grateful for your interest in sowing your talents within the Garden of Wonder. Drop us a line with your background, experience, and a brief note about why you’re stoked to be a part of the Radio Department at Lakes of Fire. Send your email to mailto:email@example.com, and make sure to include “Radio Department Volunteer Application” in the subject line.